Thursday 2 June 2016

Goodbye London

One of my first shots in London
So after much deliberation, many wait-and-sees and a sudden revelation in the middle of the night in a Japanese airbnb, we have made the decision to make our way home.

It's funny because if you had asked me 6 months ago if I was happy in London I would have said yes. And then out of no where. I fell out of love with her.  It was not one specific factor nor one moment but a jenga tower of reasons that suddenly just came tumbling down.

At the end of the day I knew the minute I arrived that it was only ever going to be a temporary situation. I never allowed myself to truly settle here. Never got that sewing machine. Lived on bare necessities.  Focused on what was on was most important to me - travelling. 

The surprise of the situation was being offered a sponsored job that allowed us to to stay here longer. It was both a blessing and a curse. Suddenly life became about work. And along that came stress and the repercussions of neglecting one's health. But I wouldn't take back that decision. It was a steep learning curve and being at the top of the learning curve I can see it's worth.

But after three years of a somewhat haphazard existence it's time to for a more solid foundation. I won't be having 8 holidays a year anymore (though maybe one more to Africa before coming back).But I'll hopefully have a place of my own near the beach. With a sewing machine. And a dog and cat. To spend time with loved ones. And to feel whole again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment