Thursday 25 September 2014

Back In The Hood


Even though we've only been away for 18 months, it feels a lot longer than that. We likely wouldn't have returned to Sydney at this point had it not been for some wedding commitments. But I'm glad we did.

It's nice to be back. Getting off that plane and just feeling proper sun that actually feels like the right kind of warm. Not too hot, not too cold. My mum gave me a big hug and shed a little tear when she picked me up from the station. And then we proceeded to have my first proper Asian meal in 18 months. Yes, it's good to be back.

I apologise to my social media friends for the constant stream of food photos but this trip has suddenly become an epic journey of food documentation. It may be awhile til we return as we are currently in the process of obtaining a 3 year Tier 2 visa so I'm trying to make the most of my time here.

I'm seeing Sydney with new eyes. Appreciating it for it's amazing beaches, spectacular (Asian) food and friendly people. Just standing at a traffic light and realising that I had a decent amount of personal space made me smile. And even though people complain about the train system all the time, I just enjoyed having some proper ventilation and catching some sun during the ride. 

And whilst I'm loving being back and seeing familiar faces and eating a crazy amount of food, I don't regret our decision to stay in London. As they say in the UK, it's all swings and roundabouts ie. you get the pros with the cons. There's a lot going on in London and I'm also eagerly awaiting a sailing trip around Croatia and Greece next May with my wonderful friends from Chile. I'm keen to show them all my new favourite eating spots in London. 

But until then, I believe a Toni's top Sydney food post is coming your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment