Sunday 18 September 2016

Dealing with Travel Burnout

We've been away from home the past 3 1/2 years and have been back once since. At this point it feels like a long time to have been away. And now we're in our last legs of this somewhat epic adventure with a few more somewhat amazing destinations on the itinerary I'm starting to feel a concerning level of apathy towards travelling. Oh another temple/waterfall/statue? Another long bus ride? More seafood pasta? It can get somewhat repetitive.

And not to mention the relationship strain of being in the company of one person 24 hours a day. I find myself dreaming of wonderful brunches with friends at home. Laughing and just relaxing. Doing a good jog along the coastal walk in Tamarama. Lounging in my own living room, maybe doing some watercolouring on a sunny spot on my balcony next some friendly cacti sitting in some cute pots I made myself. Yes, I'm dreaming of domestic bliss. Because for me, travel seems to be best appreciated when it is at bookends with being productive and work. When it is a reward for working hard. Once it starts to feel like routine - it becomes the work. 

So I'm wondering now, if it's worth it. The monetary, physical and emotional investment, to do the travelling for a bit longer or whether not just to go home and do it another time when I'm in the right frame of mind to appreciate it. I don't think there is a right answer but I hope I'll be able to work through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment